Data Protection Notice
Our contact details
Solent University, East Park Terrace, SO14 0YN Southampton
People & Development, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please contact the Information Rights Team at: email@example.com
What type of information we have
- Personal Details (name, address, email address, d.o.b)
- Emergency contact details, including next of kin
- Pre-employment check including references
- Statutory checks, such as; Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)
- Verification of right to work in UK
- Current employment record and personal development at the University
- Financial information, such as payroll data, including bank details
- Digital photo i.e. Staff campus card
- Equality and diversity data
How we get the information and why do we have it
Information is collected from you at the application of employment process through MyView and Hireserve.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
(a) We have to fulfil a contractual obligation (such as your employment contract, verifying qualifications with accrediting organisations/professional bodies).
(b) We have a legal obligation (such as UKVI, HMRC, health & safety).
(c) We need it to perform a public task (as a University we have a number of responsibilities).
(d) We have a legitimate interest and the processing carries no or little risk.
What we do with the information
We use the information that you have given us in order to ensure your application can be duly and securely processed. Any data you provide as part of the application and recruitment process will only be shared where it is essential for the management of the employment contract. We may share your data for the purposes of:
- Occupational Health for Health Screening
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checks
- Pension scheme
- HMRC for tax purposes
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Statuary bodies, such as HESA
- Trade Unions
Any information processed will be deleted once it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right ofaccess - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
You can also complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO's address;
Information Commissioner's Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113